Problems with table. What does this mean?

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Wed May 4 14:01:22 CDT 2005

> I estimate that
> the database will reach sizes in excess of 60 GB. My client is going to be a
> little miffed when I tell him that my proposed solution will require an
> Xserve RAID for backups.

I feel your pain.

I was actually thinking of the development process only. I wasn't even thinking
about what to do once the project was delivered to the client. Silly me. But the
sad reality is that any file on a computer can become corrupted, or even wiped
out, at any moment. The power goes out, it comes back on, zap--a hard drive is
toast and a backup is the only way to get the data (this happened to me a couple
of years ago; even one of those data-recovery companies couldn't get anything
from the drive).

So at some point it's up to the client to realize that if they have 60GB files
to back up, they need to figure out a way to back them up, whether they are your
files or their files. Their backup solution should be able to handle what
they've got on their hard drives. If not, then they are unprotected from any
negative event.

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology