[V4RB2] FindStartsWith appears broken - SHOWSTOPPER

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Sun May 1 05:46:43 CDT 2005

In the 2.0.3fc5 release, finding seems completely broken under certain
circumstances. For example, these are the results I get when using
fld.FindStartsWith:

All records:       168,768 records
StartsWith '1':     18,228
StartsWith '10':     1,472
StartsWith '105':        0 (should be 292 records)
StartsWith '1054':       0 (should be 36 records)
StartsWith '10549':      0 (should be 4 records)

FindEndsWith seems to have the same problem. I get the right results with
one or two characters, but with three characters I get 0 records found.

The problem is in this line:

   bs = tblZip.Zip_Code.FindStartsWith( find )

With one or two characters, it returns a BitSet, but with three or more, it
returns nil, but ONLY when I am searching the Zip Code field (an indexed
VString of 5 characters that always hold numbers). Using the SQL way gets
the right results for one or two characters, but returns every record for
three or more.

Note that VStudio 2.0b3 shows the right totals.

This is the same project I've been using for some time, and this is the
first time I have gotten the wrong results. I am sending a sample project to
Ruslan and filing a report on Mantis.