multiple table search // Redesign structure

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 30 23:57:43 CST 2005

On 3/30/05 9:53 PM, "Gregory Kowalski" <gregkowalski at earthlink.net> wrote:

>   I have a situation where I have a DB with many tables for different
> categories of products.
>
> What I want to do is be able to query all the tables in the DB for a
> product number.
>
> So, say I want to look for product number 1004,  then I want to query
> all tables for that number. Is the syntax you propose god for that?

Hi Gregory,

In fact may be you need change structure of your tables.

Look, you say that you want search several Tables for the same value.
And even union results.

For me it sounds like you need EXTRACT from these tables one CENTRAL table,
Which will have ProductNumber. And only this table will have product Number.

All other tables must have pointers to this one table.

Having this your task become simple and clean.