[V4MD] accented characters (once again)

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Thu Jan 6 10:01:41 CST 2005

At 20:19 05.01.2005, you wrote:
> > what is your language setting? Did you set it to German?
>I didn't specify any language because the data are multi-lingual. All
>fields are
>'ASCII'.

That is what's causing part of the problem. In case you can't change
the setting, you have to create a custom font for the text display.

Your problem is that the characters are automatically converted
when you load them from the db at runtime and when you then
display them in a field or text member, they seem not to be correct.

There is a long and tedious way to make it work the way you want,
I just had to do it on a recent project, but it worked:

To fix this you need to find out the charnum of the characters that
are not correct and also find the charnum they should have and
create a mapping for each character that is displayed incorrectly.

Then you have to create your own custom font and change the ascii
code for the characters in question, i.e. move them around so that
they are in the position of the charnum that actually gets returned
on that platform. You have to do that for each platform and in your
application check which platform you're on and use the according
font for that platform.

In my case, I created the db on a pc but still had the same problems.
I was using German as the language setting, since the base language
of all texts was German but it contained lots of Namens and Quotes
from countries all over Europe (France, Schweden, Denmark, Poland etc.)
so there were diacritical marks from all kinds of languages.

Since unfortunately UTF is not yet an option when working with Director,
there was no other way I found to make it work. Maybe it'll help
you solve your problem.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Skype me 24/7: callto://martinkloss