Question about index structures

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Dec 30 23:57:20 CST 2005

On 12/30/05 9:01 PM, "Leo Hoedemaker" <leo.hoedemaker at gmx.de> wrote:

Hi Leo,

>> Why you need R-trees or R+-trees indexes ?
>> Please describe your task and vision
>
> I would like to use R-trees for indexing spatial data (points, lines
> polygons etc). Personally, I'm in the process of planning some kind of GIS
> (geographical Information System) for storing animal distribution data.
>
> However, spatial data is also used for e.g. CAD or computer vision.

Yes right.

Okay so you have correct expectations :-)
Please add this feature request into Mantis.

> Basically, I would like to be able to store and retrieve spatial objects
> and get information like "find all points within a certain area" or "find
> all stored objects within 2 km of location x"

I see.

> Since most GIS programs store huge amounts of data, it would be very
> impractical to retrieve all data and peform a search, which would take
> ages. Therefor I would like to index my spatial data first.
>
> As far as I know, the most efficient way to index spatial objects is using
> some variety of R-trees (like the recently described Priority R-tree (Arge
> et al., 2004)).

Yes this is true.

You are first who ask about this kind of index.  :-)

I cannot estimate right now timeline of this.
I need refresh my memory on how this index looks then I will decide how hard
todo this feature.