Question about index structures

Leo Hoedemaker leo.hoedemaker at gmx.de
Fri Dec 30 20:01:09 CST 2005

Hi  Ruslan,

> Why you need R-trees or R+-trees indexes ?
> Please describe your task and vision

I would like to use R-trees for indexing spatial data (points, lines
polygons etc). Personally, I'm in the process of planning some kind of GIS
(geographical Information System) for storing animal distribution data.

However, spatial data is also used for e.g. CAD or computer vision.
Basically, I would like to be able to store and retrieve spatial objects
and get information like "find all points within a certain area" or "find
all stored objects within 2 km of location x"

Since most GIS programs store huge amounts of data, it would be very
impractical to retrieve all data and peform a search, which would take
ages. Therefor I would like to index my spatial data first.

As far as I know, the most efficient way to index spatial objects is using
some variety of R-trees (like the recently described Priority R-tree (Arge
et al., 2004)).

Regards,

Leo

--
DSL-Aktion wegen großer Nachfrage bis 28.2.2006 verlängert:
GMX DSL-Flatrate 1 Jahr kostenlos* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl