Won't Run Second Time

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Fri Dec 30 12:01:13 CST 2005

On 12/30/05 11:38 AM, "Charles Yeomans" <yeomans at desuetude.com> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Ed Kleban wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/05 10:39 AM, "Charles Yeomans" <yeomans at desuetude.com> wrote:
>>
>> I on the other hand have absolutely no problem whatsoever in using the
>> RB
>> Class style and create my database in the exact manner as shown in the
>> "Classes way" examples.   I however had the benefit of using this code
>> very
>> late in the game after the V2 code was well established and quite
>> stable.
>> I've heard the complaint that Charles raises above from others
>> regarding
>> some horrible war stories in endeavoring to convert older V1 apps to
>> use V2,
>> at a time, I'm guessing, that the V2 code was far less stable.
>>

> That would be a good guess.  However, I find the so-called API approach
> easier while the database structure remains in flux.

Yeah, I can see that.  There would definitely be benefits to having all of
the field, record, and structure declarations all in one or fewer places
rather than strewn out among all the various class constructors.

However, I use this distributed, Object-oriented structure to good advantage
and have all sorts of other bizarre new types of things like "FieldCursors"
which are more conveniently defined and managed within the context of the
class hierarchy.

But it's great to have options, and in the case of Valentina you can mix and
match as desired to get an organization that is most appropriate for your
code (as long as you really know what you're doing and are aware of several
undocumented features about how V2 establishes internal links among
databases, tables, and fields) -- which is one of the reasons I like V2 so
much.

--Ed