Benefits of declaring foreign key links.

Ed Kleban Ed at Kleban.com
Thu Dec 22 21:06:00 CST 2005

Ruslan,

Page 13 of the Kernel.pdf doc states: " ObjectPtr field works in 4
times faster than FK based on ulong KEY and PTR fields."

Why is that?

Where does this speed improvement come from?

What specific API calls are 4 times faster?  Or is this only realized with
SQL accesses?

I currently have several fields with foreign key records that stored as
Byte, UShort, or UMedium because V2 does not yet support BytePtr, ShortPtr,
or MediumPtr.  But considering the advertised performance improvement, I am
tempted to just make these all (long)  ObjectPtr fields.

The other reason I am tempted to do this is that I see the advantage of
having these links explicitly declared so that Valentina Studio will show
the related links in the Data Browser.  Declaring them as ObjectPtr will do
this automatically, although I'll probably want to make sure I name the
links as well for clarity.  Right now since I'm just using FindValue(anRid),
VS is unaware they are links at all.  I'm wondering what other performance
benefits there may be to declaring them as links.

Thanks!
--Ed