Vcomponents in Mach-O Package

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 21 15:56:13 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

>> It would be very nice if the MACHO version of the components could be a true
>> Framework.  This seems to be the recommended way to bundle together all of
>> the elements of something like VComponents.  The VComponents.framework could
>> then live in the application bundle, for example:
>>
>> /Contents/Frameworks/VComponents.framework
>
> No it is as:
>
>     /Contents/VComponents

To be honest, as long as it works, I'm happy.  Although Apple say:

"While executable and resource files are standard in most bundles, there are
several other special directories that are not needed by most bundles. These
directories include the following:

"A Frameworks directory contains any private libraries and frameworks used
by the executable"

(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundle
s/Concepts/BundleAnatomy.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001119-110730-TPXREF5)

So even if it's just a folder of Vcomponents, and not a "Framework" in the
literal Apple sense, it should really go in
/Contents/Frameworks/Vcomponents.  But as I say, if it works, I'm happy :-)

>> A development computer could also have the framework installed in
>> /Library/Frameworks/ to make it available to all applications.
>
> Instead we go into /usr/local/lib

Fine by me!

Dave.