Vcomponents in Mach-O Package

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 20 22:07:32 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

> I think it will talk half of day for me to produce MACHO build,

Great!

> This should go as separate archive, MACHO + WIN.
>
> I think bad idea put together CARBON and MACHO, because they require 2
> different VComponents folders.

The separate archive would be fine for me.  I use MACHO only.

> Also MACHO bring another problem guys.
>
> V4RB_Macho installer will install VComponents_cw_macho into /usr/local/lib
>
> Then you can start easy develop. When you need move VComponents into final
> build of your app, it will require fix @executable_path.
>
> Well, it is not hard, we have script for this..

It would be very nice if the MACHO version of the components could be a true
Framework.  This seems to be the recommended way to bundle together all of
the elements of something like VComponents.  The VComponents.framework could
then live in the application bundle, for example:

/Contents/Frameworks/VComponents.framework

(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Tas
ks/CreatingFrameworks.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002258-106880)

A development computer could also have the framework installed in
/Library/Frameworks/ to make it available to all applications.

(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Tas
ks/InstallingFrameworks.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002261-97184-TPXREF101)

If the MACHO build *isn't* a true Framework, the Vcomponent files should
still go in /Contents/Frameworks/ when they are included in the application
bundle.  I'd suggest that the @executable_path linker fix should *always*
look in this location first.

Good luck with the build - I look forward to giving it a try!

All the best,

Dave.