more VLink2 methods // Death to recursion!

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Dec 11 17:43:20 CST 2005

On 12/11/05 5:32 PM, "Ed Kleban" <Ed at Kleban.com> wrote:

> Yes, I understand.  But if you have a syntax of either:
>
>     FindLeftLink( rightRecID )
>     FindRightLink( leftRecID )
>
> or if necessary:
>
>     FindLinked( inRecID, EVLinkSide )
>
>     where EVLinkSide.kGetLeftLink returns a left link.
>     and   EVLinkSide.kGetRightLink returns a right link.
>
> Then:
>     1) You do not need to list the Tables.
>     2) You do not need a special argument for the recursive case.
>     3) The syntax of the Find command does not impose an artificial
>        restriction on how to define your links in order to make sure
>        that kFromParentToChild works correctly.
>     4) The syntax makes it very clear which table the returned RecIDs
>        in VArraySet will come from.

Right.

We have similar methods on C++ in the class VLink2

Keep in mind:

    Vlink -- this is general class of Vlink.
            future we can have Link_N which links N tables.

    VLink2 -- is subclass of Vlink and is parent of 3 links:
                FK, ObjectPtr and BinaryLink.

In VLink2 we can introduce set of methods that have SIMPLER syntax than
Vlink methods. Right. Just was no time to finish this job ...