V4MD file-extionsions in Mac and Windows

Andrew Sinning andrew at learningware.com
Fri Aug 19 10:28:27 CDT 2005

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>>Ruslan,
>>
>>Can you please confirm for me that the file extension of the description
>>file (typically .vdb) is _optional_ (i.e. it can be included OR excluded
>>without any difference) under Windows, but required (i.e. there will be
>>difference between including it and not including it) under Macintosh
>>for the following functions:
>>

>>CreateDatabase()
>>OpenDatabase()
>>LoadDump()
>>

>Actually visa versa:
>
>Windows:
>
>    you must always specify extension:
>
>        db.Create( "ddd.vdb" )  --> create "ddd.vdb" file
>        db.Open( "ddd.vdb" )    --> open "ddd.vdb" file

In my testing, under windows, after having set the extension for the
description file, when you use CreateDatabase,  OpenDatabase, or
LoadDump, the extension is _implicit_, i.e. optional.
CreateDatabase("file.vdb") has exactly the same effect as
CreateDatabase("file").

Under MacOS, if the file you want to open has an extension, you MUST
specify it in the OpenDatabase command, otherwise you will get an error
(but not an error-string, until you fix it ;-)).  When you
CreateDatabase, if you do not specify the extension, the description
file will not have an extension, but the other files will.