V4MD file-extionsions in Mac and Windows

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Aug 19 10:04:14 CDT 2005

On 8/18/05 9:32 PM, "Andrew Sinning" <andrew at learningware.com> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

> Ruslan,
>
> Can you please confirm for me that the file extension of the description
> file (typically .vdb) is _optional_ (i.e. it can be included OR excluded
> without any difference) under Windows, but required (i.e. there will be
> difference between including it and not including it) under Macintosh
> for the following functions:
>

> CreateDatabase()
> OpenDatabase()
> LoadDump()

Actually visa versa:

Windows:

    you must always specify extension:

        db.Create( "ddd.vdb" )  --> create "ddd.vdb" file
        db.Open( "ddd.vdb" )    --> open "ddd.vdb" file

MacOS:

This works:
        db.Create( "ddd.vdb" ) --> create "ddd.vdb" file
        db.Open( "ddd.vdb" )

And this works:
        db.Create( "ddd" )  --> create "ddd" file
        db.Open( "ddd" )    --> can open as "ddd" so "ddd.vdb" file.

> Also, are there any other functions where this is true?

I think no.