SQL request and speed ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Aug 16 10:07:31 CDT 2005

On 8/16/05 8:25 AM, "Thierry NAUZE" <ohmitou at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Thierry,

> I have two versions of my program : the first with a database
> Valentina 2 and the other one with a database RealSQL.
> The base contain the same data.

> The SQL requests  are the same and their treatment also, at some
> details near (res=curseur.NextRecord / curseur.NoveNext, curseur.Field
> (1) / curseur.idxField(1) ...).
>
> To display a list of 13300 lines extracted from the base with this
> request:
> "SELECT id,nom,prenoms FROM individus WHERE id>0 AND byteLibre=1
> ORDER BY nom,prenoms"
>
> RealSQL works in about 3 seconds and ... Valentina about  in 30
> seconds: 10 times more !!!
>
> For information : a test on another version of the program with
> Valentina 1 works in about 7 seconds.
>
> Can one hope for an improvement there?

* it looks to me that you have in resulted cursor quite many fileds
(columns). Am I right?  How many ?

* and it looks that you try to load 13000 records into listbox?
    am I right ?

This is bad idea, which was discussed many times on all lists.

You need to use e.g. DataGrid and load only the records that are displayed
on screen. Then you will get reaction of system about 0.1 of second.

If you want and you can make for me archive with db + some project to test.

Btw, you self can test THIS query in viSQL and see how fast viSQL show
result.