[V4RB2] Creating fields in an existing database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Apr 19 09:26:20 CDT 2005

On 4/19/05 6:45 AM, "Kem Tekinay" <ktekinay at mactechnologies.com> wrote:

> I think I am starting to understand how the class-way works. When you define
> the properties in the classes, the additional flags, etc., only matter if
> the database is created at the outset. If you are opening an existing
> database, the properties only have to match existing tables and fields.

Right, and if they will not math you will get error.

> Things like "EVFlag.fIndexed" don't matter. And if the fields don't match,
> an error is generated.

right

> So if I want to modify the structure of an existing database, I have to put
> in code to add that field using API methods before I open the database using
> the class-way.

> Am I right? If not, what is the right way to add a field to an existing
> database in V4RB2?

Absolutely right!

Btw, it seems in 2.0 we do not have such example, UpgradeSchema.
We need add it asap.

Note, after you have change schema for your app, which you already
distribute to users, you should also Increment db.SchemaVersion

Btw, I do not think that you already have distribute app to users,
So you can simply trash existed db and create new one.