[V4RB2] Time trials vs. MySQL

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Thu Apr 7 14:50:28 CDT 2005

I know I am new to the party, but I've just been blown away by Valentina's
speed, so I thought I'd share.

I've been doing some comparisons, and last night I decided to tackle MySQL.
Mind you, I've never dealt with MySQL before and there could be many
optimizations that I am missing. Suggestions are welcome.

These test were run using Valentina for RB 2.01 with the class-way using the
IDE, and MySQL 4.0.21 from the command line. Valentina times are a result of
my own code while MySQL is as reported on the command line.

The test database has 7 fields, and the fields used here are indexed. There
are 168,768 rows which is the result of about 42,000 U.S. zip codes imported
4 times. Since MySQL does searching and sorting in one command, I had to
combine the search and sort times where relevant in Valentina.

The test machine is a PowerMac G5 dual-2.5 GHz with quite a few other apps
running in the background.

What I found is that Valentina is frightening fast, and certainly faster
than MySQL, except when it comes to LIKE searches. I'm guessing those will
improve as the new release is optimized.

Select all records (168,768 rows)
 Valentina: 0.00 secs
 MySQL:     3.71 secs

Select all records, order by City:
 Valentina: 0.30 secs
 MySQL:     7.38 secs

City, State or Zip start with '105' (292 rows):
 Valentina: 0.00 secs
 MySQL:     0.20 secs

City, State or Zip start with '105', order by City:
 Valentina: 0.00 secs
 MySQL:     0.17 secs

City, State or Zip end with '9' (14,636 rows):
 Valentina: 0.02 secs
 MySQL:     0.53 secs

City, State or Zip end with '9', order by City:
 Valentina: 0.05 secs
 MySQL:     0.91 secs

City, State or Zip end with 'k' (10,136 rows):
 Valentina: 0.03 secs
 MySQL:     0.40 secs

City, State or Zip end with 'k', order by City:
 Valentina: 0.05 secs
 MySQL:     0.57 secs

(Here is where the difference is)

City, State or Zip LIKE '1%9' (1,508 rows):
 Valentina: 1.48 secs
 MySQL:     0.22 secs

City, State or Zip LIKE '1%9', order by City:
 Valentina: 1.45 secs
 MySQL:     0.22 secs