V4RB - vServer Begin again

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Tue Sep 21 09:46:14 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

on 21-09-2004 6:22, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

>> reinstalled vServer
>> it creates masterDb with this privileges:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  unknown  951296 20 Sep 23:20 master.vdb
>>
>> run the Single Table example and created new DB
>> it has same privileges as Master:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  unknown    62464 20 Sep 23:45 my database1
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  unknown    99328 20 Sep 23:45 my database1.blb
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  unknown   525312 20 Sep 23:45 my database1.dat
>> -rw-r--r--  1 root  unknown   197632 20 Sep 23:45 my database1.ind
>
> But what privileges should be on your opinion ?

I have no opinion here... just asking
but now that you ask, yes I think these are correct
since the vServer is running as root process
all files it creates are owned by root (system)

of course this means that if you want to start server from terminal
you must be logged as root or use sudo keyword

>> opened my database1 with vStudio and added some records
>>
>> modified the Single Table example to use cursor
>> (it was using baseobject methods)
>> it works now!
>
> Great!
>
> In fact I believe if you click button Query,
> You will get window which uses cursor.

well... I had tried it
but it crashed on a nil cursor...

but now I'm starting to see things clearer so I'll check that again

BTW I'm wondering how to figure out when connection attemps fail

i.e.
after coding
 db = new vDatabase(host, user, password)
or
 vs = new vServer(host, user, password)

how can I know if something gone wrong and connection failed?
in the vServer Utility RB project I leave parameters as default "localhost,
sa, sa"
it seems to connect but it really doesn't
I must change "localhost" with "" to get a real connection

>> still, trying to inspect the DB object in debugger crashes the app
>> ...please fix this
>
> I will try
>
>> server is still running and that's good... :-)
>> (it crashed when trying to access BO methods)
>
> BO methods to modify records are not implemented in this version.
>
> At first we did think NOT to implement them at all,
> And use only Cursor API for remote server.
>
> Now we have opinion that for fast Ethernet, BaseObject functions and new 2.0
> API should work in client also. So Igor add to protocol this functionality
> also.
>
>> so, are BaseObject methods deprecated in vServer?
>> (I never use them anymore, so I won't miss them... I ask just for info)
>
> Let's clarify, you talk about VBaseObject.AddRecord ?

yes, I talk about these ones
the most offending I found so far is BO.RecordCount
that crashes server with bus error
(but I didn't check them deep, just those in the single table example)

Cool Runnings,
Erne.