ValentinaServer as a plugin

Eric Ferrer wonderfef at noos.fr
Mon Sep 13 18:37:23 CDT 2004

Dear Ruslan,

> But keep in mind, most probably user will NOT read all 100,000 records.
> He will jump here, jump there....
I can't see why I would build a cursor if I don't display its result.
Just to display the number of found records?

>> For example, the Server I'm currently developping is capable of updating the
>> clients that connect to it, it connects itself to internet to read new
>> "shopping baskets" and create new records from them...
>
> Wait a moment!
>
> * capable of updating the clients that connect to it.
>   you mean that if one user change something then second see this ?
Nope, I mean that the server implements something like a "software update":
your client connects to the server, the server checks if there is a newer
version of your client and uploads it to you if necessary.

> * connection to inet can be perfectly implemented using
>   a) V4RB client to connect top VServer
>   b) RB app that connect to to inet.
>   c) you read from inet and add records to Vserver.
Yes, that's true.
But what if there is a new "shopping basket" by night, when no client is
running?
Yes, there is a work around: a little programm that would do it separately.

Actually, for all the specific features I'd need, I could develop a
dedicated application/service that would behave just like a client to
ValentinaServer and would then be able to add/edit/delete records.

The fact is that my server performs many other things than just dealing with
the data across the network. Finding a workaround for each of them would
take me a lot of time. I thought that ValentinaServer as a RB plugin would
just avoid me to find and develop all these workarounds ;-) !

> * theory of transactions says:
>   user1 NEVER must see changes provided by other users inside of
>   single transactions.
In the way we work here, in my company, we do need to see other users' work,
lively.
Anything added/edited/removed in the database is instantly displayed on all
computers. This feature works fine and is just great!

Thanks for your answer (fast, as usual)
Eric