ValentinaServer as a plugin

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Sep 13 17:56:42 CDT 2004

On 9/13/04 5:38 PM, "Eric Ferrer" <wonderfef at noos.fr> wrote:

Hi Eric,

> Thanks for your fast answers.
>
>>> Is it planned to release ValentinaServer as a plugin for REALbasic ?
>> This is not possible. Technically.
> It's a pity...

>>> I'd really need to give my server application some specific
>>> functionalites...
>> What exactly you want to do ?

> This is too specific and it has nothing to do with databases.

> For example, the Server I'm currently developping is capable of updating the
> clients that connect to it, it connects itself to internet to read new
> "shopping baskets" and create new records from them...

Wait a moment!

* capable of updating the clients that connect to it.
    you mean that if one user change something then second see this ?

* connection to inet can be perfectly implemented using
    a) V4RB client to connect top VServer
    b) RB app that connect to to inet.
    c) you read from inet and add records to Vserver.

    right? This task can be made via client

* The same is true for ADMIN tasks.

Paradigma understands that you as develop may wish provide to your clients
own app with own GUI which they will start and manage Server.

This is called admin utility.

So again you can easy develop this simply using V4RB_Client.
In the same way works Valentina Studio, for Example.
In the same way works MS Entreprise Manager.
This admin utility simply connect to server, provide ADMIN login and
password and send to it admin commands.

The cool here is that this admin will control your server even via internet
from remote computer!!!

You see? You do NOT need Vserver as plugin for REALbasic from our point of
view.

> By the way, I'm very curious to know how you handle this:
> Two users (Helen and Richard) are browsing a customer list. Helen adds a new
> customer : how do you intercept this event to refresh the customer list for
> Richard ?

Answer IS

* theory of transactions says:
    user1 NEVER must see changes provided by other users inside of
    single transactions.

* BIG DBMS like Oracle, MS SQL, do not show records added by Hellen until
Richard press button refresh. You in your app can make refresh by time if
you want.

* only Postgre have mechanism of some special call-back events,
    when Richard get notification that something was changed.

* Valentina do not have such mechanism yet.
    I think we also can and should make it.
    for some case-sensitive  can be useful.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com