ValentinaServer as a plugin

Eric Ferrer wonderfef at noos.fr
Mon Sep 13 16:38:11 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan and Florian,

Thanks for your fast answers.

>> Is it planned to release ValentinaServer as a plugin for REALbasic ?
> This is not possible. Technically.
It's a pity...

>> I'd really need to give my server application some specific
>> functionalites...
> What exactly you want to do ?
This is too specific and it has nothing to do with databases.
For example, the Server I'm currently developping is capable of updating the
clients that connect to it, it connects itself to internet to read new
"shopping baskets" and create new records from them...

By the way, I'm very curious to know how you handle this:
Two users (Helen and Richard) are browsing a customer list. Helen adds a new
customer : how do you intercept this event to refresh the customer list for
Richard ?

>> All I see is that ClientSide is faster, so what's the point of ServerSide?
> IF you will select 100,000 records from million table,
> Then Server-side will be faster because it will not send all found records
> by network to client computer.
OK, I see, but when you start looping into the cursor (server-side), you
generate some traffic in the network. So creating a large serverside cursor
is faster, but reading it record after record is slow anyway. Am I right?
Here are the results of my tests on a table contained 245'000 recs:
Client side :   16'134 ticks to build the cursor
                    115 ticks to display the result in a ListBox
ServerSide :   40 ticks to build the cursor
                    40'912 ticks to display the result in a ListBox

Anyway, I never use such huge cursors!

Thank you very much
Eric