Automatic Data Entry

Kim Kohen kim at torchpublishing.com.au
Fri Oct 29 23:23:55 CDT 2004

G'day Ruslan

> But RecID field
> 1) exists always. You need do ZERO steps to get it.
€€€€
I still don't see an easy way to get it via an SQL select but I'm sure if
there is you'll demonstrate:)

> 2) it provide referential integrity automatically
€€€€
This is good

> 3) it is 4 times faster on joins that ID of ULONG type.
€€€€
This is good too

> So tell me. WHAT REASONS to use own ID field ???
€€€€
Easily accessible through SQL select and customisable

> Only because all other DBMS do this ?
€€€€
Not necessarily but it would seem to make the code more portable if the
developer needed to move to another DBMS that relied on user defined primary
keys

> Only because you are used to do this during 10 years ?
€€€€
10 years is a long time:)

Cheers

Kim