Automatic Data Entry

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 29 09:57:07 CDT 2004

On 10/29/04 4:49 AM, "Chuck Pelto" <cbpelto at pcisys.net> wrote:

>> I know people will refer to the RecID but I'm really struggling to
>> come to
>> grips with not having my own ID field. It's been the first field in
>> every db
>> I've created in the last 10 years.
>
> You still need a key/ID field in SQL, as far as I can tell. It's just
> that its not going to be as automated as we are used to in FMP. We'll
> need to build a routine to generated that data to go into that field.

But RecID field

1) exists always. You need do ZERO steps to get it.

2) it provide referential integrity automatically

3) it is 4 times faster on joins that ID of ULONG type.

So tell me. WHAT REASONS to use own ID field ???
Only because all other DBMS do this ?
Only because you are used to do this during 10 years ?
:-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com