Automatic Data Entry

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 29 09:54:36 CDT 2004

On 10/29/04 3:03 AM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at torchpublishing.com.au> wrote:

Hi Kim,

> I know people will refer to the RecID but I'm really struggling to come to
> grips with not having my own ID field. It's been the first field in every db
> I've created in the last 10 years.

:-)

Right. And Valentina introduce you a NEW PARADIGM RecID fields and
ObjectPtr. And I believe they are better :-)
If you don't know why I will explain

Look, we want to be EXTENTION to Relational model.
Valentina 2.0 do this perfectly.

We have made great jon in 2.0.
And very soon you will see that.

We have implement full SQL92 in 2.0
So you will have EXACTLY ALL as in Oracle, mySQL,. ...
If you want Primary key then you have it, if you want FOREIGN KEY then you
have it...

But we also have improve object model of Valentina in 2.0.
We have add not only RecID but also OID field.
We have add new abstraction LINK into Valentina Database model.
Any other db in the world do not have it.

> The auto-entry thing can be overcome pretty easily. In RB I have a 'sheet'
> for a new record where people enter basic information. It would be easy to
> just hard-code a constant into the SQL insert statement to give a default
> value to a particular field every time a new record is created.

Right.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com