Automatic Data Entry

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Thu Oct 28 19:49:55 CDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 6:03 PM, Kim Kohen wrote:

> G'day Chuck
>
>> Unfortunately, the tutorials, all of them, are not very good.
>> Especially if one is new to SQL. I've addressed this with Ruslan.
> If I could get my head around it I'd write a tutorial myself:)

I was of the same mind, but considering that other third-party
tutorials didn't seem to be keeping theirs up to speed, I suspect that
the only one with the real motivation to do a good tutorial and keep it
current is the manufacturer.

>> I can come up with work-arounds on the matters of automatic data
>> entry.
>> That's not too much of a problem. But it would be a nice feature to
>> see
>> available. Especially the serial number aspect.
> I know people will refer to the RecID but I'm really struggling to
> come to
> grips with not having my own ID field. It's been the first field in
> every db
> I've created in the last 10 years.

You still need a key/ID field in SQL, as far as I can tell. It's just
that its not going to be as automated as we are used to in FMP. We'll
need to build a routine to generated that data to go into that field.

> The auto-entry thing can be overcome pretty easily. In RB I have a
> 'sheet'
> for a new record where people enter basic information. It would be
> easy to
> just hard-code a constant into the SQL insert statement to give a
> default
> value to a particular field every time a new record is created.

Yes, the routine can be accomplished inside of RB and the data passed
to the key field in the SQL tables, as necessary. More drudge, but I
suspect a module can be developed and passed from RB app to RB app so
we don't have to recreate the wheel in each new project.

Later,

Chuck