Automatic Data Entry

Kim Kohen kim at torchpublishing.com.au
Fri Oct 29 10:03:14 CDT 2004

G'day Chuck

> Unfortunately, the tutorials, all of them, are not very good.
> Especially if one is new to SQL. I've addressed this with Ruslan.
€€€€
If I could get my head around it I'd write a tutorial myself:)

> I can come up with work-arounds on the matters of automatic data entry.
> That's not too much of a problem. But it would be a nice feature to see
> available. Especially the serial number aspect.
€€€€
I know people will refer to the RecID but I'm really struggling to come to
grips with not having my own ID field. It's been the first field in every db
I've created in the last 10 years.

The auto-entry thing can be overcome pretty easily. In RB I have a 'sheet'
for a new record where people enter basic information. It would be easy to
just hard-code a constant into the SQL insert statement to give a default
value to a particular field every time a new record is created.

Cheers

Kim

Kim Kohen
Group Pre-Press and Systems Manager