Automatic Data Entry

Chuck Pelto cbpelto at pcisys.net
Thu Oct 28 17:49:21 CDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 3:54 PM, Kim Kohen wrote:

>> Then Valentina 2 will rock your head :-)
> Hmmm, I'm afraid I'm struggling with Valentina. It appears from the
> tutorials and list discussion that it's so OO it seems I'll need to
> learn a
> hell of a lot more RB/OOP before I can use it effectively. I'm
> surprised
> because I had a MySQL app running in no time using RB and simple SQL
> statements.

Unfortunately, the tutorials, all of them, are not very good.
Especially if one is new to SQL. I've addressed this with Ruslan.
Hopefully, he'll have time to sort that out, as a good tutorial is a
good selling point for a product like this.

> I'd really like to use Valentina because there are great merits in
> being
> able to use the same code for a single or multi user application but
> I'm now
> resigning myself to RBD for single user and MySQL (where I feel pretty
> comfortable) for multi user - at least until I learn more RB.

I need a mult-user SQL database system. The product we're moving into
the 21st Century was of that sort. That's why we went with Valentina.
However, the learning curve has been something of a burden. And, I'm
sure, it will continue to be something of that for a bit longer. But at
least the slope is not quite so steep.

I can come up with work-arounds on the matters of automatic data entry.
That's not too much of a problem. But it would be a nice feature to see
available. Especially the serial number aspect.

I've not read all of the e-mail on this subject, yet. Been away most of
the day. I'll likely have more comments come tomorrow.

Regards,

Chuck