Automatic Data Entry

Kim Kohen kim at torchpublishing.com.au
Fri Oct 29 07:54:42 CDT 2004

G'day Peter

> True, filemaker uses globals to make up for the lack of object
> properties and in Filemaker 6 the lack of local variables.
> You can include the HTML tags in your compiled code or put it in true
> Valentina records.
€€€€
Using RB as the front end I can't see where I'd need to use global fields
any more. The fact that I can create an admin layout somewhere in the app
(which I always did with FMP) and then put either an editfield or label
there to hold constant data makes it unecessary. I know constants could
probably be used for this but I haven't gotten that far in the user guide
yet:)

> Then Valentina 2 will rock your head :-)
€€€€
Hmmm, I'm afraid I'm struggling with Valentina. It appears from the
tutorials and list discussion that it's so OO it seems I'll need to learn a
hell of a lot more RB/OOP before I can use it effectively. I'm surprised
because I had a MySQL app running in no time using RB and simple SQL
statements.

I'd really like to use Valentina because there are great merits in being
able to use the same code for a single or multi user application but I'm now
resigning myself to RBD for single user and MySQL (where I feel pretty
comfortable) for multi user - at least until I learn more RB.

Regards

Kim

Kim Kohen
Group Pre-Press and Systems Manager