Automatic Data Entry

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Thu Oct 28 10:38:17 CDT 2004

> Let's' think.
>
> You have made example only of ONE simple change.
> * adding of new field.
>
> --- YES I think such change we can catch.
>
> What about other changes:
>
> * remove of field

This should be easy enough to catch

> * rename of field

Very hard to do, I agree, you could use the order in which the
properties are instantiated (the field order in the database is also
determined by the order in which you create them using classes).

> * change of type
> * change of flags

If fieldname is equal, changing type and flags should also be possible,
no?

> * add of table
> * remove of table
> * change table name

Same remarks as for the fields

I'm not saying it's a trivial task, not at all. I'm using a dynamic
database structure (using a generic VDatabase class) and let my own
REALbasic classes handle the update of the db structure by the way and
am very happy with the results. I was just trying to provide Valentina
(which I still think is one of the most promising databases around) a
way of getting more revenues from Filemaker switchers.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt