Automatic Data Entry

Frank Schima frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com
Tue Oct 26 11:12:55 CDT 2004

Hi Chuck,

On Oct 26, 2004, at 9:50 AM, Chuck Pelto wrote:

> Looking over the documentation and the archived e-mail, I get the
> impression that there is NO automatic population of fields with data
> in Valentina 1.0. This includes no automatic incrementation of a
> serial number field.
>
> Is this correct?

Correct.

> I also note that Valentina 2.0 is supposed to have the automatic
> incrementing of serial numbers, according to one e-mail in the
> archive.
>
> Will V2.0 have automatic data input where a field is supposed to be a
> constant value?

Ruslan stated that default values will be in V2 as I recall. But I
don't understand how that is not what you want? Also, why do you need
to fill a field with the same value every record? That is a poor
design. Constant values should not be in a field. That wastes space and
slows down your queries.

In any event, a field Method would be a solution for this situation in
1.0. Just have a field Method that always returns 2, or pi, or
whatever. That has the advantage of not wasting disk space.

What would be useful, IMHO, is a default function. So, for instance,
you could automatically populate a DateTime field with the current
DateTime so you know when the record was added.

> When is V2.0 supposed to be available in final form?

When it's done! :^)

Best regards,
Frank