[V4RB] difference between string & varchar

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Tue Oct 26 08:53:01 CDT 2004

On 26 Oct 2004, at 04:45, Pedro fp wrote:

> G'day Folks
>
> This may be a bit of a daft question & even been asked before, it also
> probably applies to more than just V4RB, so please forgive & bear with
> me.
>
> I have never quite figured what, for practical purposes, the
> difference between a string field & a varchar field is. Even from what
> I read in the V4Rb docs they appear to be pretty much the same except
> in name. So could someone please explain the difference for me & offer
> some guide as to when I should choose one over the other?

A VString field takes up the space of the max length you define, no
matter how many characters are actually used. Varchar only uses the
space it needs (variable character length), hence the name. Ruslan will
probably go more technical on this, but this is the easy explanation
;-)

Best regards

Peter De Berdt