[V4RB] difference between string & varchar

Pedro fp lists at pedro.Net.au
Tue Oct 26 12:45:04 CDT 2004

G'day Folks

This may be a bit of a daft question & even been asked before, it also
probably applies to more than just V4RB, so please forgive & bear with
me.

I have never quite figured what, for practical purposes, the difference
between a string field & a varchar field is. Even from what I read in
the V4Rb docs they appear to be pretty much the same except in name. So
could someone please explain the difference for me & offer some guide
as to when I should choose one over the other?

Cheers, Pedro :-)

Web: <http://www.pedro.net.au>                    PGP Key ID: 387CD96F
Instant messaging...  AIM: bandidoOfOz  ICQ: 27671678  Jabber: pedrofp
                       MSN: mail at pedro.net.au           Yahoo: pedro_fp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"She [Margaret Mead] said: 'We are all immigrants into a new time.'
This inevitably
requires that the patterns we have inherited from the past must be
tested against a
new set of realities that nobody sees clearly. Immigrants into a new
culture can learn
from current inhabitants. Immigrants into a new time face a more
difficult challenge."
                                               Robert Theobald in 'The
Healing Century'