SQL Problem

Joerg Pressel joergp at three-2-one.com
Thu Oct 14 22:09:47 CDT 2004

I need some advice with a SQL statement (using V4RB 1.11):

I have three tables:
- "Albums" with Artist_Ptr pointing to "Artists" and field "Title"
- "Tracks" with Album_Ptr pointing to "Albums" and Artist_Ptr pointing
to "Artists"
- "Artists" containing artist names (field "Artist")

I want to get all Albums which contain Tracks from a certain artist.

So far so easy:
SELECT DISTINCT Albums.Title FROM Tracks,Albums WHERE Artist_Ptr=1606

But – I need one additional information from the Albums which were
found: the artist name.

I tried:
SELECT DISTINCT Albums.Title,Artist FROM Tracks,Albums,Artists WHERE
Artist_Ptr=1606
This does not work, because Valentina does not know if she should take
"Artist" using the Artist_Ptr from "Albums" or from "Tracks".

Is there any way I can get around this problem? Any suggestion what
would be the most elegant way?

Many thanks,

Jörg