Speed Issues From CD-ROM

Guy McLoughlin theguy at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 7 10:19:32 CDT 2004

Hi Milan,

  If your CD burning software allows this ( I use NERO which has this feature ),
make sure your database file is burned last, so that it will sit at the outermost
edge of the CD. If you have to add a big dummy file, which you write first, so
that it forces everything else to the outer edges of the CD.

There is a huge read speed difference between the inner and outer parts of
a CD-ROM disc.

With NERO you set the burn priority to LOW for the files you want burned
first ( inner part of the CD ), and set the files you want to be burned last to
either MEDIUM or HIGH, which will burn them last. ( outer part of the CD )

- Guy

At 09:41 AM 07/10/2004, Milan wrote:

>I'm using the Valentina Xtra for Director on a CD-ROM to perform searches on
>a database of approx. 60mb. Unfortunately, I'm finding the first couple of
>searches painfully slow (I assume these first searches access the .dat file
>and cache it?).
>
>Is there any way I can speed up the search process, or compress the database
>to reduce the wait time?

Guy McLoughlin
New Media Developer
Toronto Ontario Canada