Help on scripting languages

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 6 11:47:22 CDT 2004

>Hi Everyone
>
>I know that a lot of subscribers to this list use Revolution, Director and
>other scripting languages.
>
>I'm trying to make a comparison of different scripting languages for a talk
>I'm to present in the near future. I would like some assistance on one
>point.
>
>It seems to me that Revolution and SuperCard are unique in the way they
>provide frontScript and backScript functionality to the message path. This
>allows some unique opportunities.
>
>Can anyone tell me the following:
>
>1. Does this functionality exist native in any other scripting languages ?
>
>2. It does not appear native in Director. Has anyone managed to create a
>workaround where one can have a script or object other than the normal cast
>members get first crack at system messages ?
>
>3. Can anyone advance a reason why is it that more languages do not provide
>? For example if I was to consider a Windows based language like Delphi is
>it simply that Delphi chooses not to implement or cant because of the way
>such an application handles messages passed to it from Windows ?
>
>With thanks
>Peter McConachie

Peter, I am not sure whether Front and Backscripts can be really
considered language features. I mean that message paths are really
part of the runtime environment in my mind. Naturally, there is no
clear border between the language and the runtime environment since
the language has to support its functionality. The way I look at this
is that message paths are part of the event-driven programming model
more than a language feature per se. Some people may look at this as
an instantion of inheritance.

Robert