corrupted databases - we need a tool!

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Oct 5 15:47:08 CDT 2004

>On 10/5/04 2:52 PM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Jon,

>>>  I don't know, just 2-3 times was reported that after deletion at once
>>>  of many records in table can be prolem
>>>

>>  Ruslan, don't you plan to include a more developer-friendly diagnose
>>  at some point in 2.x? I mean where we can obtain the results and
>>  format our own reports to our users?
>
>You mean produce it as string?
>Remind about this on beta list
>
>About 2.0 diagnose I can tell, that I have add diagnose for indexes.
>
>>  And you've been talking about a repair function for years -- I
>>  thought that was a planned 2.x feature as well (not necessarily 2.0,
>>  but 2.x)?
>
>I believe that REAPIR method is a big lie in the DBMS area.
>
>For example mySQL's command FIX do fix only indexes.
>Actually they simply rebuild them it seems.
>

>It is very and very often simply not possible to repair in full term of this
>word.
>
>Only real protection -- transactions and log files.
>

>--
>Best regards,
>Ruslan Zasukhin      [ I feel the need...the need for speed ]

While true repair might not always be possible, such a tool could
offer a rebuild function, which creates a new copy the db by
extracting all that is possible to extract from the old one, thus
rescuing as much as feasible, hopfully reaching deeper than xml dump
can do. Ideally, these things should be part of kernel self, not a
standalone tool, so we can use them directly in all environments,
allowing us to include recovery options in our products.

Trasactions are still distant future while a repair tool has been
talked about since early 2002 at least (posts dealing with db
corruption go back to 1999 upon quick search) and was expected for
1.x technology to follow on the heels of the diagnose coming to life.
But diagnose self still has a few glitches and is not available as
part of kernel functionality. As long as Valentina does not clean up
and build up certain aspects that have been asked for over the years,
it can't shake its shareware-only image and step into the ring of big
boys.

Robert