ImportASCII - English OS takes 8 seconds; German OS takes 20Minutes

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Nov 19 18:20:05 CST 2004

On 11/19/04 1:09 AM, "syalamar at fiberlink.com" <syalamar at fiberlink.com>
wrote:

Hi,

> The issue was on Windows XP SP1.
>
> The DB cache was set to the default 3MB.  When I changed the cache size to
> almost half the size of the RAM
> available, the ImportASCII call was very fast - came down from 20 mins to
> few seconds.

Good.

Actually may be 10-20MB will be enough.

> Questions:
> =========
>
> I did notice the two global functions
>
>     void MakeDataBaseCache( ulong inBytes = 3 * 1024 * 1024 );
>     void DestroyDataBaseCache( void );

They are DEPRECATED. Do not use them.

> and then the
>     ValentinaInit( 3*1024*1024, "", "" );
>
> I would like to at run-time, based on the DB operation, call
> MakeDataBaseCache() with
> huge cache size.  After the operation is done, I would call
> DestroyDataBaseCache().

Use ValentinaShutDown() instead.

> Does Valentina try to allocate the full cache as specified in the
> ValentinaInit ()or
> MakeDataBaseCache() at once?  Or does it allocate as and when needed?

At once.

> What happens if there is not enough system memory and a call is made to
> ValentinaInit() or MakeDataBaseCache() with a huge amount?  Do those calls
> default back to a smaller size?

Valentina define the amount of physical RAM on computer,
And NEVER allocate more that half of it.

> What is the behavior of the call to DestroyDataBaseCache()?  Does it set the
> DB cache back to the default 3MB?

No, it destroy cache.
But do not call it.

It is called via ValentinaShutDown()

> What is the relation between the Windows System Cache and the DB Cache?

Nothing.

Actually System cache is not good for us.
DBMS like PhtoShop prefer to have it as small as possible,

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com