ImportASCII - English OS takes 8 seconds; German OS takes 20Minutes

syalamar at fiberlink.com syalamar at fiberlink.com
Thu Nov 18 18:09:16 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan,

The issue was on Windows XP SP1.

The DB cache was set to the default 3MB.  When I changed the cache size to
almost half the size of the RAM
available, the ImportASCII call was very fast - came down from 20 mins to
few seconds.

Questions:
=========

I did notice the two global functions

    void MakeDataBaseCache( ulong inBytes = 3 * 1024 * 1024 );
    void DestroyDataBaseCache( void );

and then the
    ValentinaInit( 3*1024*1024, "", "" );

I would like to at run-time, based on the DB operation, call
MakeDataBaseCache() with
huge cache size.  After the operation is done, I would call
DestroyDataBaseCache().

Does Valentina try to allocate the full cache as specified in the
ValentinaInit ()or
MakeDataBaseCache() at once?  Or does it allocate as and when needed?

What happens if there is not enough system memory and a call is made to
ValentinaInit() or MakeDataBaseCache() with a huge amount?  Do those calls
default back to a smaller size?

What is the behavior of the call to DestroyDataBaseCache()?  Does it set
the
DB cache back to the default 3MB?

What is the relation between the Windows System Cache and the DB Cache?

Thank you for your responses.

You Wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> Yes they have the same cache size.

> On the same German OS machine, if the ImportASCII call is made before
the
> SQLEXECUTEs - it takes only 8 seconds.
>
> Also the SQLEXECUTEs(DELETE) is being done on a BaseObject named
> POP_DETAIL, whereas the ImportASCII
> is being done on a different BaseObject named POP_DETAIL_TEMP.
>
> I don't understand why deleting rows from one BaseObject should impact
> ImportASCII on another.
> The BaseObjects do not have any links/relations. In fact we do not use
> links/relations in our database
> at all.

Regards,
SY

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.