Multiple Ind Files

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat May 15 10:20:41 CDT 2004

On 5/15/04 8:18 AM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> my database setup is to have two files, one for the data and one for
> the index. The database also uses my Creator Code, but does not have a
> "." file ending. When I click on the index file the application tries
> to open this file and says with an error 524 that the database cannot
> be opened. Now, two files are created with the ending .ind.ind and
> .ind.dat. This would not be so terrible, but one of my users says that
> the opening went okay. Only now he cannot import any data into the
> database.

Beatrix, this is mistake!

You can reproduce this behavior with new files with double extensions
Easy in VAPP. Let you have some db based on 4 files.

If you double click .vdb file -- all right.
If you drag .dat file or any other to VAPP then VAPP think that you have
specify .vdb file and do wrong things producing new files with new names.

So it sounds like you have made mistake in your code somehow,
That you try open not .vdb description file but other.

> My questions to this so far are:
> - Is this a bug or an issue?

Mistake on open

> - I wanted to have the index separate in case the index gets corrupt.
> However, now I am thinking on changing to a one file approach. How
> often does an index get corrupt?

Nobody know. Depened on your flushes, system failures, ...

> - Can I tell the application to move the index to another place? Some
> of my users get confused by this file?

No.

> - Can I simply delete the index when quitting and build it again at
> startup?

You can but this will take time on open.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com