[V4MD] Intermittent setMedia

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Wed May 12 12:40:43 CDT 2004

> If the problem occurs in vList and Valentina, I wonder if this is a Director
issue.
> Are you using a REPEAT loop? Maybe ... use a timer object with your own
counter.

It probably is an obscure Director issue...

I'm writing them out in a repeat loop.

> Maybe ... write to the Valentina or vList. Then turn right around and read it,
to be sure it is ok.

Actually, I thought of the same thing and was doing that just now. As each item
was written out, I read it back in and tested it for member().text = ""; about 4
or 5 were bad out of 1200 or so (vList). My suspicion is that there is just some
tiny thing wrong with those members, although writing them out again
individually fixes the problem.

> For heavy text with hyperlinks, we're thinking of moving from Director RTF to
INM Impressario PDF.

What I like about #text members is that you can make them any width and any
height and the text will WRAP. In PDFs, that is not possible. The whole thing
shrinks, the text won't re-wrap if you just want to make the item narrower. Also
Impressario has no built-in scrolling, so you have to roll your own or use their
behaviors.

So, we're using #text members (RTF) for on-screen display, and Impressario for
printing the same items, since you can't print certain formatting with #text
members (subscripts and the like). This is working nicely. For other formatted
tables from the client, we're doing all Impressario/PDF, and used OSControl Xtra
to make vertical and horizontal scrollbars.

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology
Hypix Media, Inc.