[VNET] valentina sql

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Mar 25 17:09:17 CST 2004

On 3/25/04 4:58 PM, "Marcus Bointon" <marcus at synchromedia.co.uk> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

> I don't quite get what you mean about it not caring about double quotes. If
> I have a string like this:
>
> "Hello "abc" and 'def' (1)"
>
> I would expect it to be escaped thus:

> "Hello \"abc\" and \'def\' (1)"

Why you expect this ???

> But ValentinaEscapeString escapes it like this:
>
> "Hello "abc" and \'def\' (1)"

and this is correct Marcus.

1) You must use ValentinaEscapeString() only when you build query string

2) you escape only string constants
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For example:

    SELECT
    FROM
    WHERE fld = 'string constant'

In your case this looks as SQL command

    SELECT
    FROM
    WHERE fld = 'Hello "abc" and 'def' (1)'
                                 ^^^^^ problem

Note, that ONLY and ONLY single quotes cause problem inside of string
constant!!!

So we need escape only single quotes

    SELECT
    FROM
    WHERE fld = 'Hello "abc" and \'def\' (1)'

So Valentina now can correctly determine where string constant ends.

You see?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com