Bug with Select count(distinct)

James Milne james.milne at mac.com
Tue Mar 23 23:04:30 CST 2004

>> Admittedly, this is not the correct thing to do, but it certainly
>> shouldn't
>> crash hard,  wouldn't you agree?
>
> Well, as for me, such mistakes are DEVELOPER mistakes,
> And they can be very easy found and fixed.
>
> So why we must slow down self with a lots of runtime checks ?!
> You will NOT be able ship application which can do such mistake at
> runtime.
> Right?
>
> So what sense to have protection which will NEVER work in your RELEASE
> code?

I do agree completely, but it's kinda nasty to crash hard :-)

However, it's not a big issue, it's more of a fault on my side than it
is on yours,
so I'm not making a big fuss about it :-)

> Can you send me your db with your table?

Yes. I'll do that this evening.

> Valentina Studio also crashes with your count(distinct) ?

Yes, every time.
Also Valentina Studio is giving me strange results when I perform a
SELECT DISTINCT on my table.

> Also try just in case rebuild all indexes.

This happens with a brand new table just after I've added some rows, so
the
indexes aren't directly at fault here, unless I need to rebuild the
indexes after
I've performed the inserts, but I'd have to do that all the time which
surely be
rather slow....

I'll send you an example project which illustrates the crash.

--
James Milne