Bug with Select count(distinct)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Mar 24 00:36:36 CST 2004

On 3/23/04 10:52 PM, "James Milne" <james.milne at mac.com> wrote:

> Is there anything missing from my column definitions which might be  causing
> the above SQL query to crash? For instance, am I missing some sort of NULL
> behaviour criteria from the column constraints?

I do not think so.

Only IndexByWords make field NOT SORTABLE.

> It seems there are a few areas where Valentina is a bit shoddy about
> validation when it comes to checking what your doing is correct. For instance,
> V4RB will crash if you try to call VCursor.TextField() on a varchar data type.

Right. Because you have SAY that you work with TextField().
Valentina believe you. :-)

> Admittedly, this is not the correct thing to do, but it certainly shouldn't
> crash hard,  wouldn't you agree?

Well, as for me, such mistakes are DEVELOPER mistakes,
And they can be very easy found and fixed.

So why we must slow down self with a lots of runtime checks ?!
You will NOT be able ship application which can do such mistake at runtime.
Right?

So what sense to have protection which will NEVER work in your RELEASE code?

> I can provide a small project which 100% repeatably demonstrates the  crash.
> I'm using V4RB 1.10 (dated Dec 23, 2003) and REALbasic 5.2.4.
>
> Also, when using Valentina Studio, the following query
>
> Select distinct shotIndex from take where sceneIndex = '1'
>
> returns the same results as this:
>
> Select shotIndex from take where sceneIndex = '1'
>
> This strikes me a completely wrong, no? Am I misunderstanding some
> subtleties of the Distinct qualifier?

Hmm,

Can you send me your db with your table?

Valentina Studio also crashes with your count(distinct) ?

Also try just in case rebuild all indexes.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com