V4RB varchar-351 error

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Mar 19 23:41:04 CST 2004

On 3/18/04 7:08 PM, "Cindy Brown" <cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com> wrote:

>> This means that you must create in your app ONE global mutex,
>>   gValentinaMutex
>>
>> And from YOUR threads, BEFORE call any Valentina function you must do
>>
>>   gValentinaMutex.lock
>>
>>       Valentina function call
>>
>>   gValentinaMutex.unlock
>>

>> This is not exact syntax of REALbasic, I don't know it.
>>
> Hi Ruslan,
>
> I'll give this a try this week and see if this helps me at all in sorting
> out the problem. Though I still don't understand why this only occurs on
> Windows and not on Macintosh - maybe because of the speed of updating?

Hi Cindy,

Most probably because Windows has preemptive threading.

OS X also, but REALbasic is made in CARBON style, so it has cooperative
threading I think. This means that on MAC you have no conflicts.

>> ----------------
>> P.S. Cindy and I will very recommend consider switching to Valentina Server
>> and V4RB client. I think that we was able make our Server little more better
>> then you could do your in REALbasic. We use special C++ framework for
>> development of servers, it provide us very effective threading model and so
>> on.
>
> I am certainly looking at your server and client application where I will be
> running school clusters (which I will be doing in the near future). But my
> own server works best for me for single schools as it allows people to work
> on their laptops away from a network and then bring their machine back to
> the network to update their changes to and from the server. As I understand
> it, you're server (as with most) does not allow this.

You have own synchronization mechanism, yes?

So what problems? You can implement the same mechanism over our server.
I think so.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com