Format version problem

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 16 18:24:12 CST 2004

On 3/16/04 6:10 PM, "Francesco Cosoleto" <francesco.cosoleto at libero.it>
wrote:

Hi Francesco,

> I am a university student testing Valentina by C SDK for WindowxXP. It is
> good software but I don't succeed in using with my important Valentina
> databases, I think that not fully support older format.
>
> There are errors in reading tables, the names matching 10 times of 12
> ("January", "February" change into "user_data-> main %p," "p`@"), but above
> all not read none varchar fields correctly.
>
> I have searched for solution everywhere. Experimented problems with the ODBC
> Import/Export Utility because of a bug in GUI.
>
> Please, does a older version of C SDK exist or a knowledge to read strings
> of variable lenght?
>
> Databases work correctly with V4MD.x32 Ver. 1.8.5.0.
> Tested with GNU C Compiler and Borland C++.
> A example VDB: http//cosoleto.free.fr/1992.vdb

Well, lets step by step

1) so do you use V4MD (Macromedia Director)
    or you use C SDK?
    or both?

2) or you have work in the past with V4MD 1.8.5
    and now you have try to use C SDK of 1.10 ?

-----
Do you mean that you get from C SDK some string of VarChar.
And LATER it change value?

This is "feature" of C SDK.
And I think this is mentioned in the docs.

You must COPY returned string into YOUR OWN buffer.

Because Valentina C SDK usese internal ONE buffer for strings which it
returns. On the next call that return a string, this buffer will be reused.
You see?

You must not just store pointers to string.
COPY returned string into own buffer.

Yes, this is non standard way for C libraries.
I have made experiment :-)
Still not sure if it is good.

May be in Valentina 2.0 we will redo this in some other way.
C language do not have good ways to handle strings...

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com