[slightly OT] xml vs db

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Mar 11 09:31:13 CST 2004

On 3/11/04 5:05 AM, "Denis Bélisle" <denis at gunt.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a potential client that has about 70,000 small xml documents for
> which he would like a multimedia front end application that can search
> and cross-reference them in a variety of ways.  I was initially
> thinking of converting the xml and make a database out of it, but after
> researching the matter, it seems to be a little more complicated than
> it appeared at first. Anyone has some leads I could follow to help me
> build up a better understanding of the issues involved in xml vs
> databases? And does Valentina have any special affinity with xml (apart
> from the dump/load functions)?

Hi Denis,

1) right now only dump in Valentina

------------------
xml vs db

* if xml files do not have structure, then it is problem to put them into
database.

* exists special XML-based databases. This is modern stream.
But I do not like this idea. I can only agree if XML docs really are
unstructured.

* I do not like that because XML parsing itself is slow thing.

------------
* I have believe that ANY XML document still can be stored in special kind
database which have 1 self recursion table.

You break XML document to just pairs
            tag/value

And now you store in that ONE table this pairs as
        tag / value / ParentLevelPointer

But you should know that such many level recursion cannot be queried from
SQL in effective way. You need do one query per level to combine back
original XML document.

It is possible to use second table which store TAGs values.
Then the first table use pointer to TAG.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com