RB Destructors/Destroying Stuff

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 18 08:16:32 CDT 2004

On 6/17/04 10:34 PM, "Ian Devaney" <idevaney at mac.com> wrote:

Hi Ian,

> My vServer app will involve people signing on and off.
>
> When a user signs off I am trying to nil references to databases etc.

In the client code?

> Firstly, even though I close databases and set their references to nil,
> RB shows the names of tables, references to vVarChars and things when I
> list object references.

In debugger window ?

> Obvioulsy, as a user repeatedly signs on and off these refs and memory
> usage will pile up.
>
> I tried putting a Destructor method into my db classes that killed all
> the objects but this doesn't even seem to be being called.
>
> Even when I call it manually it doesn't alter the reference count.
>
> I'm using RB 5.5.2.
>
> What is the best way around this?

Hmm, inside of rb debugger it is possible to see ref counter for object?
How ?

I have not see this.

I believe that object = nil
In ANY case must decrement counter, right?

-------
May be you have other references to db object
E.g. From window object?

Does server show in log
    connection closed?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com