Database lost all data V4RB

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Tue Jun 15 19:59:09 CDT 2004

Hi All,

I've just had a client send me their database which wasn't working. They
have been using it on a PC. When I got their database I found that though
the .dat file is 22.9MB and the .ind file is 9.8MB the database is actually
almost empty. Just a few small records here and there. It seems that the
database has lost almost all the data. They couldn't do that themselves as
it would take days to delete everything by hand.

In the folder with the database there has also appeared some extra files:
prf4F.tmp, prf41.tmp, prf75.tmp and also an SMFiles with no .??? Indication
after it though it says that it is a .dat file.

Could anybody shed any light on:

1. why this would have happened and

2. Whether there is any way the data can be resurrected.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cindy Brown
New Zealand