[V4RB] Updating index of newly imported records seems to fail for me

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Sat Jun 5 03:29:45 CDT 2004

On 05-06-2004 02:47, "Erik Mueller-Harder"
<valentina-list at vermontsoftworks.com> wrote:

> Is it possible that the serverURL field in your Windows implementation
> isn't actually completely empty?  Perhaps there are stray CRs, LFs, or
> spaces in the field.  Try this instead:
>
>     rowsAffected = thePPOBase.SqlExecute("UPDATE Newsgroup SET
>     ServerURL = '" + newsServerURL + "' WHERE ServerURL < '!'")
>
> That will update all records where the first character is any of the
> ASCII control values or a space.

This is a good suggestion, thanks.

But in my case, something else must be going on.

After I import the list of newsgroups from a textfile, I can not find any
record with a GroupName '.' or '' and I also can not UPDATE all records with
a ServerURL '' to make it 'news.newshosting.com' (for example).

But when I quit the application and open the same database with ViSQL, I see
44,300 records with empty ServerURL fields and filled GroupName fields, one
of them being '.' !!!

In ViSQL, when I search for records where ServerURL = '' I get all 44,300
records. When I delete the one record WHERE GroupName = '.' it affects one
record (like it should). When I UPDATE all records WHERE ServerURL = '' it
affects all remaining records.

So in my application, the data is getting imported OK, but after the import,
none of the searches on the indexed fields return any record. There is - as
a result - also no way of updating them.

ViSQL proves that the data is in the database, and that the ServerURL field
is really empty.

Everything works great on Mac, and Windows does not want to help me. I
experienced exactly the same a few months ago, and I don't know what I did,
but in the end it worked.

I even tried to shutdown Valentina after the import and initialize it again,
but it just is not helping me.

This was totally unexpected for me, and severly messes up my project release
schedule (I have to release tomorrow, and had other things to finish, but
this error has to be resolved before I can send this version to clients).

Please help me, you gurus out there!

--

Richard Altenburg
Brainchild        <http://www.brainchild.nl/>