weird BLOB problem

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 4 21:47:39 CDT 2004

On 6/4/04 8:00 PM, "Chris Sheffield" <cm_sheffield at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Chris,

> Okay, let's see if I can describe this.  :-)
>
> I'm working with VXCMD and Revolution.  I've got a
> database with two tables.  One table contains only one
> field, "Data", which is a BLOB field.  The other table
> contains two fields: "data", which is BLOB, and
> "StoryNumber", which is UShort.
>
> Now, when I use a local database with VXCMD, I can get
> the BLOB data just fine from both tables.  But when I
> use a network database with VXCMD_Client and VServer,
> I can get the BLOB data from the first table, but not
> the second table.  Well, I shouldn't say I can't get
> it.  My app appears to freeze for about 4 minutes, and
> then finally moves on and runs normally.  It seems to
> be taking that long to retrieve a BLOB field from that
> table.

idea1:

May be you have specify for second table CLIENT-SIDE cursor?
And you have made big selection?
Then all found data will be copied to CLIENT computer.

idea2:

May be your first table have very small BLOB data,
But second table have very big BLOBs?
And again, keep in mind that with client/side cursor BLOBs ae copied to RAM
of client.

Use Server - side cursor.

Another tip:

Assume you want to have BIG BLOBs.
Then to prevent loading of BLOB in say 10 MB to client computer,
You can move BLOB field into separate table with ONE BLOB field only,
Link it to original table. Now when you read a record from original table,
it will not load BLOB data. To load it, on user request, you need create
cursor on second table, this will load BLOB.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com