weird BLOB problem

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 10:00:34 CDT 2004

Okay, let's see if I can describe this.  :-)

I'm working with VXCMD and Revolution.  I've got a
database with two tables.  One table contains only one
field, "Data", which is a BLOB field.  The other table
contains two fields: "data", which is BLOB, and
"StoryNumber", which is UShort.

Now, when I use a local database with VXCMD, I can get
the BLOB data just fine from both tables.  But when I
use a network database with VXCMD_Client and VServer,
I can get the BLOB data from the first table, but not
the second table.  Well, I shouldn't say I can't get
it.  My app appears to freeze for about 4 minutes, and
then finally moves on and runs normally.  It seems to
be taking that long to retrieve a BLOB field from that
table.

The BLOB data in the second table is only about 2.5
MB, so it's not way huge.  It should not take that
long to transfer over my network.  Right now the
segment size is only set to the default (1024 bytes).
Would increasing that make any difference?  I can't
figure out why I would have the problem with one table
and not the other, when the only differences are that
the second table has one additional field, and the
data in the first table is not as large.  And I can't
figure out why the problem would only occur while
using VXCMD_Client.

If it helps, my code is as follows:

-- database already opened previously
  put Valentina("SQLSelect", gDBID, "SELECT data FROM
Stories WHERE StoryNumber=" &
StoryRecData("StoryNumber")) into tRecID
  put Valentina("Cursor_GetFieldRef", tRecID, "data")
into tFldRef
  get Valentina("Binary_ReadData", tFldRef,
"gStackContents", rnDB("BLOB_GetDataSize", tFldRef))
  get Valentina("RemoveCursor", tRecID)
-- database is closed after this

I know this is kind of ugly, but maybe it'll help.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate
it.

Thanks,

=====
Chris Sheffield